Recently there has been a lot of talk about the unique and health-giving benefits of Kangen water«. This interest in Kangen water« coincided with the push into the alkaline water market by the MLM (Multi Level Marketing) company Enagic«. This article is written with the intention to address some of what is been said on other web sites and in public meetings, so that customers wanting the best value for their money, are able to make an informed opinion about "Kangen water«" without the hype.
Myth One: Kangen water« is different from alkaline, ionized water.
Fact:The word "Kangen" in Japanese means "return to origin" and is simply a marketing term. The Enagic« water ionizer contains a filter and ionizing chamber just like all other alkaline water ionizers. Also Enagic« ionizers create the same type of alkaline and acidic water as created by all other water ionizers.The ionizing chamber in the Enagic« uses the same technology as do all other water ionizers to split the water into acid and alkaline streams. Kangen water« is simply another name for ionized, alkaline water . Nowhere will you be able to find a definition of Kangen water« that is different than alkaline water because there is not any.
In trying to make a difference where there is none, an Enagic« representative's web site says, "technically, in order to be classified as Kangen water«, it needs to show a negative ORP in the range of -200mV to -450mV, while typical Ionized Alkaline Water shows anywhere between +100mV and -100mV, depending on the quality of the machine". Even cheap copy ionizers from China can get at least a -250mV ORP reading and Jupiter ionizers can get over -800mV.
That been said, Enagic« through its MLM is doing a fantastic job of introducing the concept of alkaline and acid (kangen) water to people who would otherwise not know about it.
Myth Two: Kangen water« is better than alkaline, ionized water.
Fact:There are two ways the quality of Kangen« or alkaline water are measured - by how acid or alkaline the water becomes (pH) and by how much ionization occurs (ORP).
Independent tests carried out by ex-Enagic« representatives (concerned about the high prices been charged), showed that the Jupiter Science Melody produced as high an ORP (negative ionization) as did the tested Enagic« model and when salt was added to the calcium port produced a stronger acidic water than that achieved by the Enagic«.
Unfortunately when there are very high prices there is also a need to justify the difference - hence the hype such as in the following from an Enagic« distributor:"This water technology is practically non-existent outside Japan. ... Even worse, there are some people who are trying to sell cheaper Ionized Alkaline Water machines as if they were at the same or a similar level as with the Kangen water« machines, only cheaper."
Myth Three: Enagic« units and Kangen water« are recognized and approved by the Japanese Health Department, unlike other ionizers.
Fact:In the 1980s the Japanese Health Department recognized that ionized alkaline water (Kangen water«) from water ionizers had proven health benefits and described water ionizers as health devices. Nowhere did any Government say specifically that Enagic« units were the ones approved.Below are examples of comments from an Enagic« web site and ones that are often voiced.
"The Enagic« is approved by The Japan Ministry of Health, as a top quality medical device" or "Enagic« units and Kangen water« are recognized and approved by the Japanese Health Department".Major corporations in Japan such as Hyundai, LG and Samsung use standard Jupiter Science parts to manufacture their own ionizers and all have approval from the Japan Ministry of Health.
Myth Four: Well known authorities on ionized water endorse or recommend Enagic« ionizers.Fact Thebest known authorities in the USA such as Dr. Robert Young (author of The pH Miracle), Dr. Theodore Baroody (author of Alkalize or Die), and Sang Whang (author of Reverse Aging) all recommend and sell Jupiter Science or LIFE water ionizers because they want to give their customers high quality Kangen« or alkaline water ionizers at an honest price. Other well know alkaline authorities that endorse and use Jupiter Science water ionizes include Daniel Reed (author of The Tao of Detox), Harald Tietze (author of Youthing) and Ian Hamilton (author of The Untold Truth...).If Enagic« is such an old established, reputable company offering technology that is so much better than what other ionizer companies can offer for much less - then where are their credible spokespersons?
Myth Five: Kangen« or Enagic« ionizers cost more because they are better.
The Jupiter Orion and the LIFE 5000 are priced between $1495 & $1895 and offer some important user friendly features that are missing with the Enagic«. Certain alkaline water ionizers are better and stronger than others and the Enagic« range are decent models, but when you have a MLM company that pays eight levels down you have to create an artificially high price because Enagic« and up to eight representatives need to make money from every single sale.
Enagic« products are sold by MLM "reps" who typically do not have a thorough technical understanding of the properties of water, ionization and how the two together produce health benefits. There are exceptions; reps who have really rolled up their sleeves and educated themselves, but the fact remains that there is a lot of "bogus" information fed to people who have been to Enagic« presentations. Going to a few MLM presentations does not make one an expert in something, especially something as complex and technical as ionization. Enagic« "reps" are often innocently fed misinformation and led to believe in half truths.
Then these misinformed "reps", who are motivated by the MLM dream, go forth and perpetrate these inaccuracies and mislead na´ve customers into falsely thinking they are getting something of good value. The price of Enagic« models has more to do with compensating the Enagic« MLM reps than the actual cost or the comparative technology inherent in their ionizers. To verify that, simply ask Enagic« about their compensation plan and see how much money is paid to the various levels of the network organization when one machine is sold.
Myth Six: Enagic« has been marketing "Kangen water«" for 30 years.
Fact:What became the Enagic« brand was initially manufactured by Toyo Metal a/k/a Toyo Aitex who recently sold marketing rights to Enagic« (also called the Thohan Kiden organization). Toyo Metal water ionizer were called the Apex, Pure Porte 11 or Protec units and these early models were manufactured by and sold for less much less than $1000 in the USA. A company called HydroAnalytics previously imported, distributed and did hands-on repairs on this unit from Japan for the US, Western Hemisphere and European market before it was withdrawn from the US market, presumably due to lack of market penetration. In Japan the Thohan Kiden organization manufactures units, that are not sold through the Enagic« MLM, for similar prices to other alkaline water ionizer in the US market.
Here are some bullet points to consider in comparing Enagic« to Jupiter and LIFE:
- Filtration: Jupiter's Biostone filtration system is available in 1 micron and .01 micron levels of filtration. Both options have coral calcium and tourmaline to improve performance (Enagic« does not have a .01 Biostone or the Calcium or Tourmaline).
The LIFE ionizers offer two (2) filters with 12 stages of filtration for the highest level of purification available. They also come with a free water analysis, report & recommendations. Also included are a pre-filter to remove chlorine before it even enters the ionizer. LIFE even includes the pre-filter housing and has filters available to remove any impurities in your water.
- Installation: the Melody can be installed three ways including undersink, unlike the Enagic«. The LIFE ionizers can be installed three ways: The LIFE 5000 installs on the counter top and can connect to the faucet or the line can go thru the counter top and connect below. The LIFE 7000 is designed to be an undercounter unit with its own faucet with two spouts and all controls on the faucet.
- Functionality: the Melody and the LIFE 5000 have increased functionality in terms of a flow control valves that operates independently of the tap (Enagic« is only controlled by tap). Jupiter's two latest models (better quality than the Melody) have a fully automatic valve system. The more advanced Jupiter and LIFE models also have an LCD control panel screen which has various readouts and alarms.
- Cleaning: the Melody, and the two latest models have a patented reversible chamber so you can ALWAYS get alkaline or Kangen water« even while the machine is cleaning (with Enagic« you have to wait).
- Performance: the Melody in side by side comparisons is at least equal to the Enagic« Levelluk DX II. Jupiter's latest two models the Aquarius and Orion, being stronger than the Melody, will most likely outperform Enagic« (not tested yet against Enagic«). The LIFE ionizers outperform the Enagic« ( see chart below ).
- Cutting Edge Technology:Jupiter's and LIFE's latest models have new patented features to further distinguish them in value. Features like:
1) Jupiter's new mesh plating (increases surface area of electrode creating a stronger Kangen water«). This means that Jupiter is able to achieve a higher ORP and pH output without having to increase the size of the plates. Larger and more plates means more electricity and more wear. Life's patented three (3) chamber system creates the highest pH and - ORP of any machine.
2) Jupiter's new patented SOL automatic valve system to optimize ORP at lower levels of pH (Enagic« doesn't have a valve other than the tap!). Life's "micro-dial" system allows for fine tuning of pH and ORP levels.
3)The Orion & Aquarius have the new patented DARC cleaning system which eliminates mineral deposits ensuring more power and longer plate life. The LIFE ionizers are also designed and optimized to operate in hard water.
- Manufacturing Standards: Jupiter's parent company makes Medical Equipment and Jupiter has been manufacturing ionizers since 1982. Who owns Enagic« and what is their background? Jupiter manufactures in a state of the art ISO 9001 certified and ionizer-dedicated plant (they do not make anything else). ISO is the world-recognized certification for quality standards in manufacturing (see: www.iso.org). Certification is very expensive and time consuming. Jupiter products are additionally CE, UL and RoK2 certified. The LIFE manufacturer is ISO9001 certified, has CSA/UL (CUL) approvals, NRTL, CE approved by TUV and by KMPG (qualified medical device approval by Korean FDA), and has many other patents. The capacity of the plant is 100,000 units a month.
- Reliability: Jupiter and LIFE have the lowest return rates for service in the industry (less than 2%). When something does need repair, we have repair facilities in the USA ensuring prompt service.
- Good Looks: Jupiter machines (particularly the latest models) are sophisticated, stylish and contemporary looking. The LIFE 7000 is the only true undercounter ionizer designed with its own faucet on the counter top.
- Support: All Jupiter units come with a half hour DVD that shows how to install and get the best Kangen« or alkaline water out of your ionizer. Professional, trained staff are available to answer any questions for both the Jupiter and the LIFE ionizers.
- Value: When you buy from LIFE and Jupiter Science you buy top quality at an honest, retail price.
Kangen« VS. LIFE IONIZER
Test Conducted on 2-24-07
All ionizer manufacturers claim their ionization process is superior to others because of the composition, amount and/or size of the electrolysis plates inside. The only real way to determine the efficacy of a water ionizer is through its performance, which can be determined by testing the pH and Oxidation Reduction Potential for both the alkaline and acidic water produced.
The key to obtaining a true "Apples to Apples" comparison is to perform tests on water coming from the same source. Side by side tests were conducted on the Kangen« LeveLuk SD 501 and the Life Ionizers 5000 using tap water from , . The Kangen« ionizer used was only a few weeks old and the Life Ionizer 5000 has been heavily used in our corporate headquarters for over five months. Based on the results, the Life Ionizer 5000 is clearly superior to the Kangen« ionizer with six (6) times the alkalization and much stronger ORP (251% stronger). The best news is that the Life is less than half the price of the cheapest Kangen« ionizer and also available in an under counter model too!
|Oxidation Reduction Potential
|Oxidation Reduction Potential
Enagic« and Kangen« and Kangen Water« are registered trademarks of Enagic, Co., Ltd